Skip to main content

A Valentine Rant

Reading instructions: Please dry your sense of humour before proceeding.

Description: short, fair and ugly.
defunct left eye, compensated by
proud Dravidian moustache.
(Kollywood directors' catch)
I'm told girls didn't care for looks.
So why am I still single?

Profession: science student;
Two papers in statistics.
Ph.D. from reputed institution.
(World-changing patents pending)
I'm told girls like accomplishments.
So why am I still single?

Hobby: Writing and poetry.
Some stuff published.
People rave and rant about it.
(May get a Nobel.)
I'm told girls are suckers for poetry.
So why am I still single?

Not so hidden talent: languages.
Can be comfortable with your
Swahili-speaking brother-in-law
(Or Greek or Persian for the matter).
I'm told girls like social skills.
So why am I still single?

I'm not rich. Well, not yet,
but have the arrogance, and poise,
cheek and sauciness to get there.
(My first royalty cheque's in the mail)
I'm told girls care for such potential.
So why am I still single?

Comments

Prasanna H. said…
Are you still single?

Popular posts from this blog

She's complicated

She's complicated. She'll charm you with charts, statistics and that corporate smile. But look into those eyes, they're fiercely bohemian. She's complicated. Her chatterings seem to resonate with happy sounds, but listen with the other ear, to an unhidden lament. She's complicated. Her silences agonise, her voice echoes in her absence. And yet there is a mild dread as her name flashes on the ringing phone. She's complicated. Sometimes she's a poetess, shallow, romantic, trying to hide a sardonic, world-weary wit. She's complicated. She could be a spiteful Fury, wrath unabated, but that's just to hide the lamb-hugging girl within. She's complicated. She's an enchantress, a fool, a tyrant, a nurse, an imp, a priestess, but she's generally a good friend. She's complicated. Published in Making Waves - A Poetry Anthology , ed. Pam & Bill Swyers; Swyers Publishing 2011. ISBN: 978-0-9843113-6-1.

The Cruel Love Form Either Meaning Tears Sestina

They ask me to write poems on love. They ask me not to make it cruel. But it should not be funny either. It must follow some poetic form. It must be rich and deep with meaning. It should move people, but not to tears. Why should it not move people to tears? Because they cry when they fall in love For no reason and without meaning. That's because love itself is cruel and causes grief in its every form. One cannot escape from it either. It is not even funny either. One spends all one's time shedding tears And meditating upon the form Of whatever being is one's love Who is in general very cruel And will get upset without meaning. One wastes one's time looking for meaning. One never finds it. One will either die frustrated or suffer cruel punishments. But no one spares tears for stupid people who fall in love And think it is divine in some form. It is not divine in any form. It is senseless, devoid of meaning. the rational do not fall in love They do not play with venom eit...

Nellie, 1983

Very often the sun rises in warm, golden rays on opening buds, birdsong and dewdrops, and the stench of stale death. Very often the sun rises Upon mutilated men - blood drying over their eyes and gore-caked machetes rusting in their abdomens. Very often the sun rises over hyaenas fretting over the carrion going waste - they can eat no more, nor can the vultures. Very often the sun rises on a day already defeated - shrieking, screeching, screaming, demanding that it go back for there was peace in the night. Published in Tranquil Muse 2018.